View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #22
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I thought I read somewhere / heard on radio in the past week that some program will be giving cell phones out to some welfare recipients for free with up to 200 min / month. I'll need to verify accuracy but later, after work.
You heard correct. I read about it over the weekend... Just another scam by the government so that people can get something for free. You're welcome Scott.

Free cell phones for the needy drawing both cheers and jeers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Quote:
Sharron Walters could not afford one more monthly bill.

But without a phone, it would be difficult for Walters, who relies on a wheelchair, to secure rides to and from her daily errands. She also could not keep in touch with her son, who lives out of town.

Three months ago, Walters, 48, of Swissvale started using Assurance Wireless, a program of Sprint subsidiary Virgin Mobile that provides free cell phones and 250 monthly minutes to people receiving government support such as Medicaid or food stamps.

In Pennsylvania, two programs offer free cell service: Assurance Wireless and SafeLink from Tracfone Wireless, which specializes in "no-contract" cellular service. The federal Universal Service Fund, which all telecommunications providers support as required by federal law, pays for the programs.