Thread: Generator
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Saltheart

I just ordered a Generac 5837 which it a 7 kw standby unit. It automatically switches on when line voltage drop is sensed. It comes with the transfer switch and load center with circuit breakers included. It comes with its own enclosure. It runs on LP or NG. I got it for $1640 from International tool.com. That price includes tax, shipping and lift gate delivery. Its an outstanding deal for the unit I got. Yes its a lot compared to say a $750 portable 7kw but with all the features I decided to go for it. My biggest worry is a sump pump that runs in the wet weather which includes a lot of winter months. When its pumping , I might have 30 minutes without power before the water rises above the cellar floor. Luckily the water table goes down in the summer so I got no water in the cellar from Irene. Except for the sump pump need I probably would not have gone for any generator at all. Haven't had one in this house for 46 years. I have however had the basement water 3 times since the problem started about 10 years ago. Lots of area construction near me had all drainage water routed towards a brook across the street from me and that added water to the water table just enough to put about 4 inches in my cellar under the worst rain conditions. Anyway , flooded cellar is a pain to clean up so hopefully this new set up will be insurance against it.I could have gone the portable gen route for much less. . However , if I bought a $750 portable generator and happened to be out of town (or out of country) when I needed it and wasn't there to start it , I would be rippen mad so I decided the all automatic set up was the way to go. Also with NG , i don't have to carry gas or refill LP tanks , I just run a gas pipe to it.

Oh, forgot to add , it will run the whole house except for central AC. I seldom use AC anyway. If I did need AC for a few days , I obviously wouldn't be running the furnace and likely not the sump pump so I could do a window AC unit in dire circumstances, like if I was sick in bed and dying from the heat.

Last edited by Saltheart; 09-02-2011 at 06:36 PM..

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote