View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Are they?

Are you answering my question with a question? Before you respond to my question about your question to my original question, I will actually answer your question--using polls to decide on legislation would be forcing majority "opinion" on the rights of the minorities. Unequal taxation on a minority of individuals simply because a majority likes the idea is not principled, Constitutionally protected due process or equal representation. It would be governing by mob opinion at the expense of individual rights.

On abortion I think the public consistently supports the right to an abortion with some divergence on restrictions.

Public opinion is solidly against partial birth abortion.

Support for the Health Care Bill at the time of passage was over 50%. That Obama made many mistakes when promoting it doesn't change the fact that the public supports reform.

-spence
I wasn't talking about reform. Was that not clear when I said "so-called health care bill?" Perhaps I am informed incorrectly on the polls, but I thought there was consistent majority opposition to the bill. I apologize if I was wrong. The point was that polls though they might be useful to someone running for office, are not a way to govern.