View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Jim chooses to leverage religion to support his arguments then puts his fingers in his ears and tells you that it doesn't apply if you do the same. It's the Catholic cliche - "Do as I say, not as I do." I'm certainly no perfect Christian but I also don't try to leverage my religion to support my arguments.

Johnny, Christianity teaches us to try and turn the other cheek, and to love everyone. I support this concept. Does that mean that I can't say Obama is a jerk, when he repeatedly acts like a jerk? Is there any hypocrisy in that? I don't think so. If you can point out a specific example of hypocrisy on my part, please do. And when did I use religion to support my argument? I'm not in that habit of saying "such-and-such is a good idea, because the Pope says so". For example, I'm not anti-abortion because I happen to be Catholic. That would be putting the cart before the horse. If the Catholic church came out and said abortion was OK, I would find another church. I am Catholic because I find that religion's teachings to be consistent with my personal ethos.

Sorry you have an obvious issue with Catholics. I guess you hung out with some bad ones. The ones I know lead lives that we would all do well to emulate. None are perfect, of course. But their faith motivates them to try and do some really good, unselfish things.

I don't know that I've ever said "do as I say, not as I do". I'm arrogant enough to feel that my actions are the correct actions, almost all the time.

In any event, what this has to do with the obvious intent of my post, I have no idea, but I give up.