View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
No, it sounds like Obama is doing exactly what Bush did. Obama made no significant changes to the Afghan strategy that weren't already on the table. If I'm wrong (and I could be), please explain?
According to Robert Gates bush didn't really have a strategy... in 2009..."I will tell you, I think that the strategy the president [Obama] put forward in late March, is the first real strategy we have had for Afghanistan since the early 1980s," he told CNN. "And that strategy was more about [the] Soviet Union that it was about Afghanistan."

Obama certainly shifted the focus from nation building to counter-terrorism, treating Afghanistan and Pakistan as part of the same problem etc...

If you want I can send you my copy of the Bob Woodward book "Obama's wars" which goes into the process in great detail.

Quote:
Bush comes up with the stratregy, and now that it's working, yuo call it the "Obama doctrine". If we put the "Obama doctrine" in place in Afghanistan, there would be TV commercials telling the poor Afghanis that rich white people were to blame for their problems. That's the "Obama doctrine".
I think the pile of dead terrorists with OBL at the top is proof enough you're description is a bit off...

Quote:
They used to rule a country, now they're hiding in caves.
They've been hiding in caves since the USSR leveled all their buildings in the 1980's.

Reality is that the Taliban seem to still be quite strong in the north and east according to the last report I read.

Quote:
Are they gone? Nope. Are they weakened? You bet. Thanks to heroes like my kid brother, no thanks to folks like you, who bend the events there to advance a political argument.
I appreciate your brother's service, but I can't say I appreciate your incessant childish remarks challenging people's fortitude or patriotism. Perhaps you're just trying to get a rise without the effort required to make a thoughtful post.

-spence