View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
wader-dad

Back when all reservations were opened January 1st with preferences to Maine residents, I had a pal in Maine that got us signed up.

First night at roaring brook, went up to Katahdin on the Cathedral trail- crazy- goes up like 2400 feet in 1.2 miles- that is steep. Then next night at Davis Pond lean to. Total Wildneness. Then over to Russell Pond scene of my one and only brook trout blitz. My friend and I are in a canoe- available for use. Its about 7 pm and all is perfectly still. Then these insects come out and the water erupts and I caught 9 brookies on 9 casts with a mepps spinner and the last one I thow back, a beaver comes out of no where, takes the fish and swats the water with its tail.

Next morning, Bull Moose on Russell Pond and back to Roaring Brook, Baxter is an awesome place and I mean awesome before that word has been used to excess. 200,000 acres and maybe there are 200 people in the park outside of Roaring Brook.

My friend is afraid of heights but I went on knife edge for a good while and its like walking on a Jetty so you do that all the time. Just don't fall off the Jetty.
wader-dad is offline   Reply With Quote