View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #17
Sea of Atlas

The gap between Pamola and Chimney is probably the hardest part of the Knife's Edge. Mostly for the fact that you have to scramble down and up a small gap and its steep on both sides, if you have a heavy pack, enlist the help of a friend/spotter. I would not classify myself as a fit hiker, I've always been overweight (not built for climbing), but I have strong legs and that is helped me power through. This is a strenous hike but most definetly doable for an average hiker like myself.

Now also consider that access to the park is so limited that you have to get there ridiculously early. We once got there at 5am and waiting in line at the gate but we were too late. We were pissed but we ended up going to Gulf Hagas, which as Seadangles mentioned is a great hike. The "Grand Canyon" of Maine and at the end of the hike, its an out and back along the river, there are some very deep pools and smooth rocks that make for a great waterslide into pools.

The reservations have been changed and I believe now you can reserve a spot no more than 4 months from arrival. I believe to eliminate all the early-birders that normally snatched up all the spots come January 1st. Chimney Pond is a fantastic spot to stay, its majestic, its also a great base camp to do Knife's edge.
Sea of Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote