View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
All kinds of technology is restricted from export. Ever hear the term ITAR (International Traffic in Arms) Restrictions ? Defense Technology is restricted from export. If you say the export of technology cannot be restricted then you live in a cave. The restriction of technology export has been going on for centuries.

Although I wasn't referring to defense secrets, my bad that I didn't specify, but, even so, I didn't say it can't be restricted. I said it couldn't be stopped. The restriction has been going on for centuries, but the transfer has been going on as well.

So why can't we restrict the export of "Econimically Sensitive Technology" like Automation Technology, Measurements and Controls , Precision Machining Technology, etc, just like we do defense related technology? The justification is to dfend our economy.

Again, restricting doesn't stop it. Plus, with the type of restriction you mention, that is the beginning of a police state. When private ownership of ideas and products is put in the hands of the state as to how it can be disposed in the name of defending our economy, that is not only tyranny, but the destruction of our basic rights of property. Contrary to defending the economy, it attacks the rights that are the basis for our foundation, and the economy, rather than being defended, will suffer from the restriction of the free trade of ideas and the free flow of goods.

Todays battles between superpowers are economic (much better than military but still a battle) and at the root of economic strength in the USA is (was) Manufacturing Technology.
All the more reason to create a more stable world market which would make wars less attractive. Winning the economic battle is not accomplished by one "super power" having all the good stuff and restricting it from the rest of the world. Not only does that restrict the growth and diversity of that power's economy, but it makes it more likely that it will have to resort to military power, blood and treasure to protect that stagnating economy. The root of our economic stength has been freedom and the trade that resulted from that freedom as well as development of ideas that Americans have created using the free flow of information as well as the freedom to express those ideas. We have been more economically successful because we have been freer to create, invest, and trade ideas and products.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote