Thread: CASH FOR VOTES
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #50
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Of course,companies are out to make $$, grow, make more money, hire more people and grow some more. That's success and means more opportunties for more employees and more hiring.No secret here.
Put my response in context of yours that I was responding to, you've got it backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
I would say any fortune, large or small, is built on the opportunities
provided by others. Very few grateful for what others have provided for them.
Fortunes are often made by the innovators, risk takers and the fortunate (i.e. also known as the lucky :hihi). It's usually not that they have an opportunity handed to them, they create it, but to fully realize it requires both capital and labor.

Quote:
I agree corporate culture has changed drasticaly in the tretment of their employees over the last 15 years as the "60's" "Me Generation has taken over management in a large number of companies.
I don't think it has as much to do with the generational shift as it does the ever increasing trend towards "short-term'ism."

We have a market where billions are traded in seconds and everybody lives on a knifes edge. People watch the stock ticker like it's a ball game. Banks are running complex computer models to determine who's small business loan or mortgage is most at risk and should be yanked at the first opportunity.

I think a lot of this has to do with the shifting of our economy towards a more services based market where productivity is much harder to measure. Factories are easy, you've got assets and resources that when managed well produce X amount of product. With a services based economy there's a hierarchy of value that's being speculated on at many levels...it's so freaking complicated few are smart enough to understand it, and those who do typically are scared #^&#^&#^&#^&less.

-spence