Thread: Guide spacing
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
Saltheart

Two things. First chris's questions. No , if you use an LC 20 as a striper you would not likely use KW's the rest of the way. You could but I haven't seen that. Second. About SiC. Now a days I believe for surf rods Alconite is the best choice. Its lighter and more resistant to breakage by accidental impact on rocks , etc. Its Fuji's newest ring material and IMO the best they offer for surf rods. Now if you are doing an application that will require heavy forces and fast line take outs like tuna or something , you may want to look at SiC do to its ability to disappate heat.

Rodbuilding knowledge is accumulated over time and exposure to info and by what you learn building. There are a lot of "if , and and but" 's going on and these take time to digest and put in place relative to everything else.

Striper 774. There are KW's in J size and that is likely what your friend is refering to as high frame. There are KW's in knows as L's in sizes 30 and 40 , so KW 30L. This brought the 30 down in height. You can use a 30L as a striper but its pretty big. The 25J is just about the height of the LC20 but the ring is 5 mm bigger. What I would like to see would be a KW20 that is even higher than the J height. because its not available , IMO the 25J is the way to go.

Now don't forget that the old 40 , 30 , 20 , 16 , 12 in SV's and a 16 PST tip is still a very good build as long as you do it right. All this mental masturbation about the gazillion possible guide style and placement schemes are trying to eek out just a few more yards to the cast and perhaps (perhaps) get a little more feel or sensitivity in the rod. There are costs and benefits to all this stuff.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote