Thread: Guide spacing
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Chris
I've got a layout for an 11 foot rod that goes low rider 20 , 16, 12, 8, then kw size 8 runners ( six of them) to the tip. It casts well with a ZB 25 if you want to try it, and is very light. I don' t see any reason you couldn't use kw guides instead of LC guides as the transition guides after the LC collector if you wanted, although I doubt there would be a big difference. Whether there is any big advantage to using a LC for the collector as opposed to a medium (25 or 30L) KW I can't say (but suspect not) and as Saltheart points out the height options on k guides is increasing so it may be a mute point soon. The thing I am convinced of, however, is that the older NGC layout formula that places your choke guide so far out the rod is not necessary with braid. You can cone down faster and still get a good casting rod that is even more tip light than the standard NGC layout.

One other thing to consider, the ZB 27 has a big spool and larger spool sizes create issues with the placement of the first LC guide.
The KW 25 may help avoid this and is well worth a look before assuming the LC is a better option with a large spool. Likewise, if you are building for a smaller spooled reel like a 5000 or ZB 22, then right now the LC 16M is a very good option in my experience.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by numbskull; 01-21-2012 at 10:00 AM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote