View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #28
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So you're saying that massive spending, tax increases, health care mandates, elective war, eroded rights to privacy etc...

You think they've done a good job?

If the argument is who's done a better job of upholding the Constitution I think you'll find it's a draw.

-spence
Though they all have, Presidents, Representatives, and Judges, acted outside of their Constitutional bounds, I don't think "it's a draw." The progressives (including progressive Republicans) have outscored the conservatives by quite a margin. And what the progressives tend to do is raise the bar of unconstitutinalism by creating previously non-existing methods of doing what is not constitutionally granted. Which, in turn, paves the way for all that succeed them to use the new powers to "rewrite" the Constitution.

Do you approve of this way to make the Constitution a "living" document? I recall you stating about as much, that it must change with the times. I thought it curious that you were more fervid over following the letter of the U.N. Convention on torture than on following the letter of the Constitution. And that you are more concerned about how we appear to the world when a handful of soldiers occaisonally act stupid than when our political leaders perpetually trash our constitutional rules.

You have mentioned a few times that what is needed to set the ship of state right is only some structural adjustment. Could you be more specific? What structure needs to be created or changed?