View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Its not sour grapes. As I said , I have no problem with the call itself that was made , just didn't know there was any penalty ever that resulted in points going to the other team. There are no penalties against the D that will award the offense a touchdown , no D penalty that will change a missed field goal to a 3 pointer , no D penalty to make an extra point good that did not go through the uprights. I would liken this to awarding a touchdown because of pass interference in the end zone. It doesn't happen. The ball gets spotted on the one and you have to earn your points.

These "safety" penalties against the O must happen very rarely because I never heard of them before.

Now the other thing about a penalty like that is that its not a firm "I saw him hold" call by the ref. its a judgement as to whether anybody was in the vacinity of where the ball was thrown. They say the ball landed 15 yards from any possible receiver but it was just 2 to 3 feet over the heads of a few potential receievers. Seems to me that a ball just 2 to 3 feet from a receiver ,regardless of whether it was that close in the X , Y , or Z direction is in fact in the vacinity of a receiver. Yes someone would have to run 15 yards to where it landed but all it would have taken was for a jump and long arms to reach up and grab it.

Anyway , its a question about a pretty obscure rule , not a sour grapes question

Question about an obscure rule.
Sounds like your describing the Tuck rule !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote