View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Spence, if I say that murderers (and their victims) deserve justice instead of apologies to the murderers, please explain why you dismiss that as "circular logic". And be specific please, so that I understand.
Your assertion was that Obama was apologizing to the perpetrators of the crimes. This isn't backed by the facts nor is it even believable...unless you're trying to score political points.

Quote:
You got me. In this case, Obama waqs, in my opinion, coddling the murderers. Whether they are Taliban or Al Queda, i don't know.
The Taliban took credit for the attack. Granted they're not the most trustworthy source.

Quote:
I'm confused Spence. I said that muslims who would indiscriminately kill innocent westerners, simply because someone else accidentally burned a Koran, need to be killed. You respond by saying we should nuke the whole country? That necessarily means that you think all of them are sociopaths? That doesn't seem very liberal, does it?
I think a reasoned person would understand that many who commit violence, hell...even terrorism...aren't all crazy. If you look at it as a mental thing you risk ignoring root causes.

I remember a documentary on Afghanistan some years back when the journalist was remarking at even young kids getting involved in the violence. The Afghan kind of smiled and said, yea, here it's kind of like a bad habit. This doesn't mean they're crazy...it just means we need to consider who we're dealing with.

Quote:
I don't see how failing to punish the guilty does anything, other than maximizing the chances that they will live to kill another innocent victim.
Perhaps the answer is so obvious you don't see it? Are the Afghan Police not working to capture the perpetrator?

Quote:
Not once, ever, have I said that we can with with military force alone. I just don't see how overlooking the slaughter of innocent bystanders, helps anyone except the wicked. But that concept, moral relativism, is one of the pillars of liberalism. That, and lack of responsibility or accountability for one's actions.
This isn't a case of moral relativism, rather it's a case of reality. The killer and accomplices should be held to account. The Taliban where they seek to fight Americans or jeopardize our mission should be dealt with as we can...

But the simple fact is that we're not in a black and white situation. It seems like General Allen understands this.

Do you?

-spence