View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I want to see a picture of this 5 1/4 inch "danny".
If he made one they are rarer than hen's teeth.
Borrow the damn thing from Steve, Paul.

He did make a 5 1/2" plug that looks like a danny but swims deeper like a musso pine. It was called a "bootleg". It has the max diameter further back (true dannies are fattest in the midline and weighted there), was thinner nose to waist, carried more weight, and used a higher slot lip. It is not a surface swimmer even though it looks like one. The one I measured was slightly wider than the dimensions you posted. I swam the original, didn't like it, and never bothered to copy it.

The fact that you have the widest spot 3" back on a 5" plug is much more in keeping with the bootleg than his surface swimmers. It is also going to let the lip pull more of the nose down (particularly if weighted ahead of its belly) and create issues trying to stay on top. You will do better if you move the belly to 2.5 ", rig the plug, adjust the weight until it floats in saltwater level and at midline. It will swim fine provided the lip slot is low. Keeping the lip narrow will reduce the roll.
The plug should pivot around the fat belly and weight, moving those spots apart will mess you up.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote