View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
are you suggesting that Obama policies since taking office have not influenced the price or gas/oil?
Quite simply, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Just as no direct policies under Bush held prices down at the beginning of his term or caused the sharp incline that happened at the beginning of Obama's term.

There are far too many factors at play to put the price of oil onto any individual *country's* shoulders, let alone a specific leader within that country. I think OPEC, oil companies, speculators and refineries have substantially more control on the price of oil than any other factor - many of those factors have some form of control from (what I call) pump-to-pump - control across the entire supply chain from the minute it's pumped out of the ground to the moment I pump gas into my car.

I will partially "credit" Obama with the $10-25/barrel increase associated to the tensions with Iran. The reason he gets only partial credit is because it's a continuation of terrible US policy that started before him and he's chosen to sustain.

As a side note, the above is opinion formed as a derivative of too much reading. An opinion that I'm sure has a few holes in it.

Last edited by JohnnyD; 03-15-2012 at 09:00 AM..