View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

No quotes here (except for one paraphrase) my take only...

1. Where was most Keystone XL pumped oil going to end up? Refineries in the gulf, and then onto the world market (likely Asia). The shovel ready jobs would have been around for a bit, then gone again. This would not have dropped our price at the pump.

2. Obama should say Oil is the fuel of the past and present. I agree it is still a huge part of the present and near future. but if we continue to think of it as the fuel of the future, we will continually face these challenges.

As has been said, we need more Natural Gas. Fracking is controversial, but not as bad as people thing, and environmentally, as a whole, a lot better than oil sands like Athabasca. In the next decades, we need to be transitioning to gas and beyond. I heard a good quote this morning, to paraphrase, 'oil is a 40 year problem, not a 3 year problem' fossil fuels reamin a part of the solution in coming decades or more, but we need to keep looking forward. part of that is increased fuel efficency for sure, in cars, heating, power etc... all of which save most people money, and cut down on our usage and reliance on foriegn imports from geopolitically unfavorable regions

A lot has been made re: algae. newt got a good laugh out of it (so, fine Newt, no Biofueled rockets to the moon) BUT...

if free market is always the answer, and buisness knows what is best, why is Exxon spending 600+ Million on R&D with biofuels?!?! (Chevron and others spend big bucks too...) because we need to start moving forward!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"