Thread: Goo Goos gagga?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Rockfish9

Goo-goos swim sub surface( about 3' without wire) and level.. they have a methodic fairly slow swimming action, with very little roll.. this is what makes them such a good trolling lure..I do not weight them..IMHO this will ruin their appeal.. I know some people chin weight them, but this changes the dynamic of the plug, and IMHO, not for the better.. or at least for what i use it for ( wire line trollining a screaming rip).. I make and fish more goo-goo's than any other plug, I've tried weights in many places, none made it better( the exception is the 6" version I make, which uses the same lip as the 8" , I tail weight this one to keep it slow swimming on the troll)... I use WRC and through wire and hang a of 4/0 hook on the front belly hanger and a 3/0 on the rear belly hanger( 1/0 Krok or spro swivel) and a single 7/0 bucktail treated siwash on the tail... I dont feel the WRC is too boyant as i cover them with epoxy, thus changing the original dynamic of the wood...I have made some out of pine and maple.. the WRC was hands down the better swimming ( and catching) plug... the originals I fished with were pine and poorly ( or not) sealed.. the originals used screw eyes.. after a night of hard fishing, the screw eyes loostend in the soggly plug... These are my observations, and are far from gospel on this wonderfull plug.. I'm sure others will have something to add as well..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote