View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
If he had any.

I could almost see someone challenging SS contributions if they throw ACA out as being unconstitutional.
Not even close. Social security contributions are a "tax" levied by the federal government, and the constitution clearly says the federal government has the authority to collect taxes. If it's explicitly in the constitution, it cannot be considered unconstitutional.

The individual mandate is completely different. It's requiring individuals to eneter into a contract with a private company. If the feds can do that, why can't they make you buy a computer from Apple? Why can't they make you buy an electric car?

I hapen to like the individual mandate on the moral grounds that healthy people should help pay the cost of people who get sick through no fault of their own. However, I don't like Obama's willingnes to ignore the constitution when it suits him. If enough people want the federal government to have the authority to force us to buy things from a private company, we have mechanisms to amend the constitution to reflect that. Until then, the individual mandate seems unconstitutional to me.