Thread: Tent Advice?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
JamesJet

[QUOTE=jredfly;950205]I need advice buying a tent. It will be for my family of 6 that will be car camping.

Size: I think I heard that you should by a size larger than what you need. Should I get an 8 man or two - 4-man tent?

Money: Should I by a $100 coleman special or $300-400 on a better brand?

I want to try and keep the costs down but I also want it to be a good experience for my family. Don't want a mutiny the first time it rains.

Any and all help is appreciated.

I was president of the outing club in college and we used to backpack, car camp and canoe camp (a fun hybrid like mix of the two) and there was always question of tents and budgets. Lots of people who went had never camped before etc. Rule of thumb was unless backpacking go bigger. You know your family, times to bed etc, and 2 4s might be better. 2 campsites one quiet side one awake side sounds good. You might seriously think about renting gear and seeing what you like before you buy. If all you are going to do is car camp, don't get pure backpacking gear. Its not as comfortable, and way more expensive. I think there are a few guys on here (kevin?) who are involved in scouts and probably has some proven opinions. Many people like vestibules, and don't forget the plastic for underneath. Aftermarket tent stakes are much nicer than many of the ones that come with coleman etc.

I always liked Eureka, but there are tons of brands and styles, any good store will let you set it up on the floor and see what its like inside, how sturdy it is as well as how complicated it is to set up.
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote