View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
The story given by the badminton officials was that the fans paid to see matches that were competitive and tanking matches were a rip off to the spectators. I think the English team should have given back the medal because it certainly was not in the spirit of the games.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I think there are some differences. Certainly the badminton teams appeared to be intentionally trying to lose to gain an advantage.

The track cycling crash is a little less clear. It certainly wasn't illegal...track bikes are really unstable and the provision is made to ensure a clean race. The race officials have the ability to relegate the rider if they don't believe the crash was unintentional, which they didn't do. From what I've read the rider was wobbly right out of the gate.

While the interview admission does seem odd, intentionally crashing in front of your entire team seems incredibly risky.

They're talking about firming up the rules here but I don't know what else they can do. The race officials already have the right to relegate.

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote