View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
What is the negative to giving people a choice to be part of a union or not? If unions are so great and do so much good for their members, then they won't have any trouble retaining every single one of their members.
Bingo, that's why I started this thread.

Or, to put it another way, which I think makes the point even more clear...how do you justify forcing someone to give their money to a political organization that they have no desire to support? How is it different from forcing someone to give money to the NRA or to the Catholic Church?

The people opposed to this law say the intent is to destroy the union, and thus un-do all the good the union has done for the workers. The reality is, the union can only be destroyed if no one chooses to stay in the union, which could only happen if no one saw the union providing any benefit.

If the workers truly value what the union does for them, it's clearly in their self-interest to continue to give the union money. Those that don't want to be in the union, will no longer be forced to financially support it.

I don't see how anyone can argue with that.