Thread: Food stamps
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #28
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's politically incorrect because you really don't know why that person is obese to begin with. Yes, some are just lazy, but many others have health issues, depression or just funky DNA.

-spence
You must have missed (or decided to ignore) my previous post. Let's see what my talks with an endocrinologist resulted in:

"A friend is a Nurse Practitioner that specializes in endocrinology. I asked her how frequent fat people are fat due to "genetics" (ie. a thyroid problem. She said very few fat people that would come to her office excusing their obesity to overweight[that should have said "excusing their obesity to hormones"] actually had thyroid issues - she saw up to 20 people per day. Even still, if they did have thyroid problems, it would explain no more than 20-40lbs of extra weight.

As such, I don't buy the "it's genetic" excuse when people that are pushing 300lbs claim it's "not my fault". Thyroid issues didn't all of a sudden increase in the last 20 years, but laziness and a lack of personal accountability sure has."

Quote:
Yes, some are just lazy, but many others have health issues, depression or just funky DNA.
Put another way for those that are 80+lbs overweight, "refuse to accept personal accountability." I sympathize for the *small minority* of people that do have a genetic issue, while at the same time, let's not set the rules for the majority based on a select few.