View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

In case it was hard to tell I didn't mean it was a bad way to do it just that I don't do it that way so for me it doesn't seem the best way. For you if that is how you have done it, must seem easy. That being said I would think it would be easier to make your own wgts. and put them where you want at what specific size you want. Just grab what you need out of a bin, trim it to size and install it. I also use a 2 part marine epoxy, same stuff Mac used to use and showed me a bunch of years ago, to install and over cover the belly wgts. It takes a good day to dry completely, but after a few hours it is still pliable I tend to smush it down flatter into the area if it happened to sink in too much if I under filled the wgt. hole or if the wgt settled. File the next day and it hardens like iron. To me the most expensive part of plugbuilding is buying lead wgts.. Can't believe what they get,$$, for lead wgts. Make your own wgts and pour a crap load all in one nice summer day and you are all set for years. You can make one mold for 2 things. Makes tail wgts., one 5/16 dia and one 3/8 dia.. Make sure you make the wgts undersize so they fit in the holes if drilled at 3/8 and 5/16 and also to allow for some sealer build up, like George didn't, with pull pins for thru wire and then you can pour the same mold without pull pins, thru holes, and you then have long lengths of 3/8 and 5/16 dia. of belly wgts. You then just need to cut them to whatever belly wgt. lengths you want. I got pics if you need them in the future. Good luck in what ever way you choose. Many ways to get the job done.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote