View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
He seems to have missed the point that not only has the Constitution, which guarantees individual liberty been disobeyed, which to him is a good thing, but that it has not been merely "a place for discussioin" that has ensued, but an entirely new system of government, one that limits our ability to "give real freedom a chance." And by force of the power which it has usurped from the People, caused them to be less "engaged citizens" in self-government and more dependents of that central government.
First off, I think this may be the longest sentence you've ever written.

Second, I think the tone of this opinion was very successful in gaining your attention. I'd suspect that the headline and opening salvo was meant to be taken a bit tongue in cheek.

Third, the opinion to me at least simply says we're using the Constitution as a divisive tool rather than a constructive tool and on this point I'd have to agree.

Perhaps the author's message is this...try and figure out what's the right thing to do, then look to the Constitution for guidance rather than just looking to the Constitution for the solution. I've read the damn thing so many times I know I can't tell for sure what it's all about...especially that pesky Second Amendment.

-spence