View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #38
fishbones

Jim, clearly I'm not enough of a foodie to know good cuisine, but, I do seek out places that are different than the normal run of the mill chain restaurants. Last night I went to the Red Fez in Providence. Very eclectic menu and the food was excellent. You wouldn't even notice the place if you drove by it, and it's probably not listed in any of your food guides. There's also a Mexican place right down the street from my office, and it's really good. You won't believe it, but it's owned and operated by actual Mexicans! I know, you probably didn't realize that there are Mexicans anywhere else in the US besides Texas. It's crazy, I know. Authentic Mexican food in New England, who woulda thunk? And you know how I know it's authentic? Because when I go in there, I'm usually the only caucasian and they have to give me a different menu printed in English. And you know what else? There are Thai people in other places besides Thailand and San Francisco. You probably won't believe me but the place in Randolph is really, really good. And have you ever been to Chinatown in Boston? There are some pretty good (authentic) Chinese restaurants there. I'm curious how many great Chinese restaurants there are in your town?
And as far as Easton going down hill, I wouldn't say that. We actually have a budget surplus and property taxes have have pretty much stayed the same. Easton is also consistently ranked as one of the best places in the US to live based on schools, proximity to culture and safety, among other things. Sure, it's not utopia and I wish I paid less in taxes, but it's a great community with plenty to do close by. I guess everyone has their things that are important to them when deciding where to live. For me, it's about being near my family first, then being in a good place to raise a family, then being near the ocean. And I think you know me well enough to know that I'm no elitist.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio