View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #52
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Fishbones - dont know how we got off on this but, whatever. You seem to disregard the concept of "regional cuisine". There are great Italian restaurants in the North End, but if you want the real deal you go to Tuscany. CA and TX are the real deal when it comes to mexican food. I really didnt think that was a topic for debate. There are fine restaurants in MA. But I believe regional cuisines are typically the best and CA and TX are known for their regional mexican food. By known I mean, books, shows, chefs, etc. TX was one part of Mexico. As far as an elitist. I probabaly am. I've done a lot of things in my 43 yrs, seen this counrty in a car 4X. Lived in CT, NY, MA, RI,CA, and now TX. My ex girlfriend I moved to CA with was the maitre d at the number 2 resaurant in the country in San Francisco. I had an in at all the best restaurants. My wife is chinese, raised in India. You want to talk asian or indian food, I sleep with a woman every night who lives for it. I aint makin this up. Does it make me better, no. More experienced? I believe so. Im sorry if that offends everyone. When Back Beach or Piemma talk fishing, i listen. I value their experience. I know my she-at when it comes to some topics - music, food, US travel. I dont know a f-in thing about politics and thats why I argue out here, to learn
Jim, I think you realize that I'm just pointing out that even though our regional cuisine may not be the best in certain styles, there are still very good restaurants in just about all styles in this area. I look for hidden gems, like the place I went last night and usually enjoy them. I also go to many of the casual chains that you find everywhere. If I go out for Thai food once every month or two and have a really good place to go, I'm happy. If I want Mexican once a month, there are a couple places I can go to that I'm sure you'd be surprised at how good they are. I can find an excellent restaurant for just about any type of cuisine within a short drive from my house.
I take the good with the bad. There are things I hate about New England, and there are things that I love about it. I'm a big sports fan and we 4 competitive professional teams. I'm close to the ocean for fishing and I wouldn't give that up. I just can't get into the freshwater fishing scene. We have excellent schools in my town, along with parents who are very active in the school and youth sports. I live close to my parents and 2 of my 3 sisters, and that's probably the most important thing for me. Luckily, I'm in a situation where the cost of living isn't killing me, and I can live in relative comfort. If I was forced to move to better my situation for my family, I'd do it. It's funny, though. My dad lived in Sausalito for years and liked it, but was happy to move back here. My sister moved to Alpharetta, GA and loves the town, but wanted to move back here. Unfortunately, because she has MS it's better for her to live in a warmer climate.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio