View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Kits are a great starting point. After setting weights, if any, in with a wood filler, seal the plug. You could brush or dip in a spar varnish. Your choice if you want to cut it 50/50 with mineral spirits. (not necessary IMO for doing your first kit plug) Hang to dry a couple days. Spray or dip in a primer. Hang to a day or more. Break out the rattle cans and experiment with colors, overlays, etc. Let dry. I like to rig and put in eyes at this point. Then it is fun with two part epoxy time.... Acid brush, gloves, heat, and a way to hold the plug and flip it every ten minutes over the next hour anyway. Devcon 30 minute epoxy is good enough and economical for this.

If you like the whole process, start breaking out your wallet. I am a carpenter with plenty of woodworking tools, and I still ended up spending a grand adding to my plug making tools. Lathe and duplicator bought used and on the cheap. And the drills. And the weights, wire, swivels, duplicator, carbide cutters, lathe tools, epoxy, brushes, rattle cans, primer, spar varnish, mineral spirits, split rings, hooks. Numerous hours hunting down parts to build spinners, etc. And it is totally enjoyable! Start slow and see if it is for you, and your budget. Took me four years to finish something I could build start to finish in the same season. And six years before I would show any of my plugs or be willing to trade them....

You have my invite in the PM I sent last week, so set up a time and come over to see what I have set up. It aint perfect, nor mass production, but it is a great winter hobby for me.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote