View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
ReelinRod

To hear Obama quoting the Declaration of Independence and pontificating on the "founding principles" of this Republic it reminded me of Alan Dershowitz discussing Bill Clinton:
"When Clinton talked brilliantly about education reform, Social Security, and the budget, I knew why I had supported him for president. When he talked passionately about better child care for working parents, I knew why I liked him as a friend. But then he said something that made me explode with anger toward the man I voted for, admired, and liked. He talked about saving our "disintegrating American treasures," like the Bill of Rights. The President was referring, as it happens, to the physical preservation of the original document of 1793. But the ambivalence of this phrase was grating. Here was Mr. Clinton, who had done more to destroy the values reflected in the Bill of Rights than any president in recent memory, piously worrying about an old piece of paper. Talk about elevating form over substance"

Alan Dershowitz Penthouse Magazine, Advise & Dissent, September 1998, speaking of Clinton's 1998 State of the Union speech

Last edited by ReelinRod; 01-22-2013 at 11:05 PM..

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.