View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I used to go that route but in the past few years I just lay the plug on the template, I use maple, but what ever you are using I just lay the original or whatever you are looking to copy and I just trace the plug onto the material. I then band saw the template and then I sand, file, the contour. I keep laying the plug onto the template to see how I am doing. Once I get to what I think is good I turn one up and then I adjust the template using a set of calipers and measuring the original and then the plug I turned. I sand off a little more in each area and then put plug back between centers and turn it again taking off the adjusted area till I finally get what I want. Then I am good to turn a bunch and next time I use it I am good to go once i get the first one done and adjusted. Pretty simple process that you will eventually get pretty quick at and very accurate. I can make plugs and go back a few weeks later and I will get the same exact plug down to plus or minus .005 every time. Practice make perfect. Just got to do it a lot and you will be an expert before you know it.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote