View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
spence

Agree, I do almost all my pizza on the grill, especially in the summer when I don't want to heat the kitchen up.

My thoughts...

Actually prefer store bought dough, I've made a lot of bread and pizza dough but you really have to work it to get the texture. I just add extra flour and knead for a while as the bought stuff is usually too wet.

A lot of pizza shops (including I believe Carmellas) will sell you dough for a few bucks a ball.

I don't use corn meal on my grilled pizza. I roll it into a rectangle somewhat thin, but not too thin...brush it with olive oil and fold it into a package for transport to the grill. Lay the oiled side down, brush the other side and flip as appropriate.

I often pre-heat ingredients as I don't like the pizza on the grill for a long time.

If I use tomato sauce, it's made fresh from some onion, garlic, shaved carrot, good olive oil, DOP canned tomatoes from Italy, lots of basil, a bay leaf, salt and pepper and perhaps a drip of vinegar if necessary.

Keep ingredients simple. One of my favorites is a little sauce, some thin sliced mozz and a lot of kalmata olives.

I like to put salad on my pizza. Arugula, spinach whatever...some slightly wilted greens are great.

One time we were at a friends in Jamestown. My wife volunteered me to make some grilled pizza so over the bridge to Roch's I went.

I just bought everything I was craving and ended up with a chicken sausage, campari tomato, feta, frisse, basil and olive pizza that was really incredible.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote