Old 09-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
that have a wifi integrated?

Sweet setup Skip

Run Ubuntu on it
That particular model does not have intergrated wifi...

USB wifi thumb cards can be had for $19.

Also the P8Z77 with wifi also offers RAID so the board is a little bigger..
The more integrated you get the more you run a risk of something failing IMHO.

Asus P8Z77 with wifi

Asus P8Z77 no wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Isn't building your own computer like building your own car from parts? Is do-it-yourself really less expensive or is it that you get to customize to your exact needs?
More like building your own rod.
You can compare it ,for example to buying a factory Lami 1201 or a custom lami 1201. With the custom you can select your guides from different MFG's in different flavors, many options for reel seats and handle materials, and thread wraps/colors..

Yes you can build a custom Lami 1201 for less then a factory or you can build one with Titanium guides and reel seat and never have to worry about corrosion.

Skip, After looking and thinking and researching, I went with the MB/CPU combo you recommended...
Never had an issue with Asus in the past but almost every machine i built was an AMD machine except for the earlier 4 and 5 X86's including a few Pentium pro's... and back then Asus was one of the boards you avoided as they had issues with cap's popping.. wasnt until AMD came out with the pentium killer and kept Intel in the shadows for years... in terms of performance and price..

Neways I spent more on ram... but went with 16gigs 4X4 as that will be more then enough and surprisingly faster as with higher capacities have higher latency's...

For now i picked up an SSD drive 64gig big enough for OS and Office and a few other Apps... if SSD prices drop i'll pick up another but for the time being i have a few Sata drives in the 160 gig flavor that aren't being used...

I'll be using a borrowed dvd drive until i get the promotional gift cards to pick up a sata dvd burner.

I went with the same graphics card (GTX650) but 1 gig less made by Asus as it has a full sized HDMI port along with old school D-sub when i want to slap on the old 13" boot unix and start programing with C again .
Actually my last 2 cards were made by EVGA and while they are good out of the box after a while the cap's popped....

I went with the smaller AX650 Gold PSU and the Nine hundred case.

Thanks again Skip.. Just got to get the OS and i'll be good to go...
leptar is offline   Reply With Quote