View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
Minwax wood hardener is what I use in a hurry. I throw open the bulkhead doors and do it on the stairs open air. Turns wood into cement. I have been doing a test on some bodies I made up for eelskin needles. They have been in a plastic tub full of water in my boat for a week and a half now after being dipped in Minwax Wood Hardener. The wood is poplar from a dowel. No splits no cracks nothing.

If you use it carefully and not in an enclosed confined space, no problem and it dries in 12 minutes.

Good luck and don't forget Slipknot's trick of a pipe cleaner dunked in the stuff and run thru the thru wire hole several times to insure coverage.
Not that I doubt you,,, and I agree it makes stuff rock hard,,, But I used birch dowels,,, tried everything,,, even heating them and soaking them over night in the stuff,,, once they they were finished, painted and used the wood would swell and the finish crack,,,, never had that problem with anything else,,,,

never the less I never got Minwax to work for me,,,

I also always wore a respirator and gloves,,, that crap is not good to let be absorbed through your skin either
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote