Thread: Whos brewing
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Saltheart

I used to brew a 5 gallon batch almost every week. I didn't drink it all (obviously) but was trying to build up a beer cellar. When I graduated to all grain brewing , I started making either a single 10 gallon batch or mashing enough for 10 gallons but split the batch into 2 5 gallon batches with different flavors. Many weekends in the winter were spent standing on snowy ground brewing beer. Now I just make a special batch now and then. I got tired of the contest scene and after the heart attack my alc consumption went way down so there was no need for a lot of beer.

Its a great hobby though and once mastered to the poiint where you can make your own styles by "BUILDING THE BEER" , you can make some really special stuff.

Since I drink less and thee batches must keep in the cellar longer , I tend to make stronger stuff now that benefits from aging, Most normal alc beers should be consumed fresh but high alc beers do benefit from aging time.

I once made a very strong beer and aged a couple of bottles in the fridge for 16 years! I opened them at a beer club meeting and shared it around. It was still very clean tasting. It had super fine champagne type bubbles and tasted just like Chimay. 16 years in the fridge is over the top lagering!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote