View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 08:05 PM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Perhaps you forgot, but that loser didn’t get a majority then either, 2.8 million more Americans voted for his opponent
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You're absolutely right. I did forget that. Thank you for reminding me.

I'm still under the influence of the fact that we are a republic, not a democracy. For very good reason. Democracies are prone to the tyranny of the majority, and the injustice of the errors that are common to mob rule. Majority opinion is the ultimate suppression of individual perception and expression. Of individual freedom.

Which is the point that I was trying to make. Majority opinion is merely a simplistic method of selection. It is not some infallible method of arriving at some philosophical, religious, scientific, or even political truth. Because a majority believes something does not make it right. It takes a lot more wisdom, intellect, intelligence, and investigative rigor in order to arrive at truth and justice than is usual in most majorities. It has happened throughout history many times that one person was right and the crowd was wrong.

Your notion of a majority claiming we are "on the right track" means nothing more than might makes right. That fits well with your Progressive, authoritarian, sometimes even Post Modern, views on what our government should be and do "for us."

Last edited by detbuch; 03-24-2021 at 08:13 PM..