View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #100
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
First of all, I can't believe someone wanted a cake from someone that didn't want to make them one, or that a Christian would think they are sinning by making a cake. Two fools only make money for lawyers.
It's not just black babies, it's low income households.
But just eliminating the current system won't cure the problem, the system needs to help and not just be the net that keeps you from dying but has no escape for people without the tools to do so.
Whoopi goldberg had a late nite TV show years ago, I watched her interview one of the Wayans Brothers. They both grew up in the same Projects. They had a great discussion about going back and seeing the same people and why and how they got out of there. They both said it was because their parents worked. Sounds simple doesn't it. Just take the net away, we didn't used to have one.
"I can't believe someone wanted a cake from someone that didn't want to make them one"

I can't either, that's a very good point IMO.

"or that a Christian would think they are sinning by making a cake"

I don't agree with that either. But the First Amendment gives them the right to do it. When Obama was POTUS, a tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g company in Michigan fired some Muslim drivers who wouldn't haul alcohol on religious grounds. The Obama administration sued the tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g company on behalf of the drivers, saying that one cannot be forced to abandon their religious beliefs at work. Why do Muslim truck drivers get that protection and not Christian bakers? That's my question.

"But just eliminating the current system won't cure the problem"

I Agree with that. too. I guess I thought you were saying it's wrong to look back at what worked, and to advocate for returning to what worked. Not all change is productive change, not all change is "progress".

10 years ago, no one would have believed me if I predicted that soon, it would be considered "old fashioned" for me to say that if a man has to go to the bathroom, he should use the men's room. Is that progress? Not to me.

But you made good points.