View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
A little bit of an aside question for you. I bought the Husqvarna 450 and after everything I read I definitely wish I went with a Stihl. BUT, so far the thing has been great (2+ years) After this seasons noreaster march I feel like I went from guy that can cut some cord wood to guy that can do ice sculptures at a party. Its got the 20" bar and seems to have great power. I've been using the rip off canned gas with no ethanol and making sure the chain oil is always good. Any other tips for keeping her humming?
Mike, don't get me wrong Husqies are great saws. I'm partial to Stihls because I have been cutting with them for so long. I have a friend who has cut commercially and wouldn't touch a Stihl. It is a personal preference.
As for tips, keep your chain sharp and cut the rakers down every few sharpens. If you don't sharpen yourself....LEARN. You can put a
better edge on than any of the commercial ripoff guys that sharpen with a grinding wheel.
Make sure you keep your gas clean. I don't know what you run for oil but I run synthetic is my newer saws but conventional 2 cycle in my older saws. I run a little heavier oil to gas mixture. I like 32 to 1 rather than 40 to one. Just extra lubrication for your cylinder.

If you don't have cutting chaps, get a pair. You slip once and cut an artery in your leg and you will bleed out before you can get help. We always wear cutting chaps, eye protection, gloves and, if we are dropping big trees, a hard hat. Most homeowners don't wear any PPE. I cringe every time I see someone cutting without wearing PPE. I'm cutting commercially so it's the law that we wear PPE but I wear the same when I'm cutting at home. A chainsaw is one of the most dangerous pieces of equipment you will ever use.

Last edited by piemma; 06-12-2018 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: spelling

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote