View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post
I've had the best luck with red cedar making these kinds of plugs. Make sure you use pieces with very tight grain. The RC with wide grain is impossible to shape smoothly. I've made a few (I'll see if I can find them) that I made the whole plug out of one piece of wood, lip and all. They swam pretty well once I figured out where to place the weight--in those the weight was practically in the head of the bait. Something else that I noticed is that these types of baits are very often sluggish and the biggest reason is wire diameter (at least that's been my finding), it's imperative to use lighter wire than the 1/16 that we all usually use. If I know you Chris, you'll have them swimming better than the real thing.

It almost plug making season... I'll give you a call soon
I never considered wire being an issues, i made mine out pine maybe thats the reason. But as far as the weight you are right, i put it between the belly hook and the head. On a side note i added 4 rattles into the last 3 i made and it didnt slow em down, if anything they swam better when i voided out that part of the body.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote