View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
We all had the opprotunity to work for the town, city state or federal, instead we chose the private sector. I was offered a job on three occasions and refused, would have started with four weeks paid vacation and credited with four years towards retirement but, I chose the private sector, had worked out great for me.

Jim
I do not know what your property is assessed for but, I'm assessed for 450,000 and pay about 4,200 in property taxes. If your property is assessed around the same maybe you should think about moving to Cape Ann, great fishing, nice beaches and only 2.5 hours to ski country.
FlyRod, you're right, I chose not to work in the public sector. However, I don't think that means that public employees can enslave me for eternity to fund their unreasonable demands. The bottom line is, in my opinion, what public employees are receiving is way out of whack what what we should be expected to pay for. I don't want my teachers eating cat food. But I don't want to have to get a 2nd job so that they can keep insane, antiquated benefits.

My house is assessed at $450,000 as well, and my propetry taxes are just about double yours, and mine will go WAY up this year. Plus, towns in CT charge an annual "car tax" for the privilidge of owning a car. We have a 2004 Honda Accord and a 2009 Sienna minivan, and for that, I have to pay the town about $1,000 a year. CT has been very creative in finding ways to stick their fingers in our pockets, very few states have this car tax. Plus our sales tax is 6%, income tax is 5.5%.

Everyone I love lives in central CT, so I'm stuck for now. If I could convince my parents, brothers, and 5 best friends to move to New Hampshire, we'd be g-o-n-e.