View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Dang! I thought I had a unique, facetious, twist on the over analyzed conspiracy of Trump's supposed "extortion," or is it "bribery," or is it "quid pro quo," or whatever it is. Didn't know that Trumplicans were also facetiously accusing Zelensky of extortion.

Oh well . . .

So Trump thought that he had the legal authority to hold funds upon assuring that the money would not just be funneled into a cesspool of corruption. He had expressed concerns about that corruption for some time before that. And so others think he didn't have the authority. And that he caved into releasing the money because he got "caught."

A simpler explanation is that he was informed that in the continuing resolution the House inserted that the money was going to be released and that the Senate would agree, not block, it. So Trump really had no choice but to let it go.

Typical power play between Congress and the Executive, and Congress won.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...swer-is-simple
But the documents and the facts contradict that theory, which interestingly enough is exactly the defense that I said the other day they will present.

"Ukraine is really corrupt and I was worried about it"

Never mind that this administration has signed off on the anti corruption markers required by Congress for the funding, eliminated funding for corruption investigation, looked right past corrupt regimes in other countries (Russia, Turkey, etc) and yet somehow the possibility of corruption in Ukraine involving the 2016 election and his opponent captures Trump's attention.

It is typical Trumplican baloney.

Now we see Pompeo claiming they need to further investigate the already disproven "Crowdstrike server" theory and together with Barr, coming up with all sorts of possibilities for why it is acceptable for this administration to obstruct investigations, withhold evidence and otherwise ignore their constitutional responsibilities while claiming to be victims.

To date this administration has stonewalled all Congressional investigations.
It will end up in court and one can only hope that the court sees Congress as a co-equal branch of government with oversight responsibility.
I am hoping we do not end up with a king and certainly not this mad prince.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin