View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #16
ivanputski
Pete K.

I visited the canal only 2x in my life (my friend dragged me there, I didn't want to go..). upon my arrival, not only was my pre-conceived view of the place correct, it went beyond. I caught so many large fish with so little effort or knowledge, that I honestly didn't feel much excitement about hooking a fish by the end of my visit ( it was about as rewarding as hooking a stocked trout at a rod and gun club pond in April ). Granted, I know its not always on fire, but my second visit I went on a very "slow' night, and still jigged up multiple large fish very easily.
Where am I going with this? Personally speaking, I classify catching fish differently based on how and where I catch them... a 40 at the canal does not feel the same to me as a 40 I worked hard for in a boulder field at 3 am. and with that said, the canal "format" just isn't for me... and that is BEFORE we even start talking about the crowds and fights.
So why do I care so much about what happens at a spot I don't fish?
because so many of the fish we all look for are caught and killed there so easily... thus thinning the stock at a rapid rate.
What's the worst that would happen if the canal was shut down to recs too?
people would have to work harder to learn and sharpen their skills?
Disclaimer: this is MY opinion... based on my experiences and personal outlook. you like the canal? fine... keep going there. You think its a challenge? fine... no problem.

It's just not my preferred "format', and really does nothing for me.
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote