View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #28
EricW

That stinks Ross.

I had this happen back in April of 2007 when we had that horrific rainstorm before patriots day.
I will say the insurance wasn't all that bad, but they did nickel and dime alot and underestimate what it costs to fix things. This included new roof, replacing 1/2 of the trusses, personal property and all the wiring inside. I did ok and was able to have everything repaired that was needed by skipping stuff like replacing one of the garage doors and having it professionally cleaned, using leftover siding etc.
What I don't like though is you the response you get if something new happens. They remind you that you had a claim and your rates will go up if you have any more. So I have ended up fixing stuff myself lately.
I don't think having a tree hit my garage puts me at high risk to have my french door window break when I open it etc......but filing a claim would result in higher rates.

Anyway I wanted to share something I learned from this. Make sure you have enough insurance on your house and also from this case separate buildings if you have them. My garage was covered as a percentage, I think 10% of the main policy. Usually how they cover sheds etc. I had enough to cover things, but if the tree were to go straight thru the middle requiring a rebuild I would have been screwed. I asked my contractors what it would cost to rebuild from the ground up if necessary and re did my policy for that amount plus some.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010505.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	57918  
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote