View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Pete, Spence Rockhound, WDMSO, Paul...why do democrats and the media still say that Trump refuses to disavow white supremacists?
Just more stuff he doesn't know..............

He's been consistently clear about his view of white supremacist violence. If you expect him to spontaneously denounce it, you’ll be waiting a while. If, however, you insist that he does so, he will do so either to check the demanded box or as a way to talk about the things he considers a real threat to the country.

“Proud Boys, stand back and stand by,” Trump said. Then he quickly moved on: “But I’ll tell you what — I’ll tell you what, somebody’s got to do something about antifa and the left because this is not a right-wing problem.”

There's more

“I am concerned about the rise of any group of hate,” he said. “I don’t like it, any group of hate, whether it’s white supremacy, whether it’s any other kind of supremacy, whether it’s antifa, whether it’s any group of hate, I am very concerned about it, and I’ll do something about it.”

That equivalence between left and right appears over and over. Even when Trump decided to denounce racism on Twitter on the anniversary of the violence in Charlottesville, he denounced “all types of racism” — tacitly equating anti-Black racism with perceived racism targeting Whites.

“I don't know about retweeting. I mean, you retweet somebody, and turns out to be a white supremacist,” he said. “I know nothing about these groups that are supporting me."

“Well, just so you understand, I don’t know anything about David Duke, okay? I don’t know anything about what you’re even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. So, I don’t know. I don’t know, did he endorse me or what’s going on, because, you know, I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists.”

After a man killed 49 Muslims at a mosque in New Zealand in early 2019, Trump was asked whether white nationalism posed a threat globally.

“I don’t, really,” he replied. “I think it’s a small group of people that have very, very serious problems.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin