Thread: canal bike
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
BlackBeard

Canal Cruiser

Teleman, from my research "canal cruisers" are about as custom as OCC choppers. Everyone has their own tastes and needs so there's no "format" to follow, that being said... I too am building a canal cruiser and here's what I got.
I have (2) 10 footers, one spinning and one conventional, I started out with (3) 23" length PVC with a cap on one end and a slot for the spinning reel. find a rubber grommet or duct tape to prevent chaffing. The diameter of the PVC is up to you. The third tube holds a gaff or landing net.

To fasten the rod tubes to the rack or basket: you could use plastic zip ties or automotive hose clamps, for me I had zillions of zip ties around so thats what I went with. I fastened my tubes to the @ss-end of the basket and not the sides, again just my personal choice.

For added storage, I'm mounting a rack over the front wheel, which will support a basket. I found that you may need an s load of bungee cords, they really come in handy!

***BONUS*** This is an exclusive, one of my world famous cheap "bass" tard penny saving tips! If you look under mailboxes near post offices, office buildings, loading docks etc, you'll see some of those plastic mail crates. Those things rock! They're light and sturdy, 2 washers a nut and bolt to fasten to my front rack. Also got some in my garage with dividers inside to store plugs that are not in my surf bag. You can cut the bottom of one and fashion a lid. Best of all the price is right up my alley...hope this helps!
BlackBeard is offline   Reply With Quote