Thread: Aerosmith
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Im not getting your point, in the 80s rock music decline. New wave and pop took over. The 60s and 70s were the heyday. How many mansions did Zeppelin have? The Beatles? Stones? Sabbath? Alice Cooper? The whole rock star indulgence is from the 70s era.
There is pop - singles based music
Rock - which was more album based.

People bought the Stones albums, They bought ABBAs forty fives.
There were plenty of sell outs in the 60s and 70s.
So lets take some artists from the past 20 yrs - Janes Addiction, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, White Stripes, - did they try to make hits or make great music? I think they tried to make great music and some happened to make hits. All comes down to integrity to me.
No problem w/ this statement...Agree w/ pretty much all of it. I always think of the 60's as the Rock and Roll Renaissance....the 80's were the Dark Ages

I think we're talking about 2 different types of "Selling out "....where you are talking more about Artistically....i'm talking more about Financially.....Trying to ring every last dime out of your music.

A lot of bands today are always trying to attach an event (i.e. Movies, TV Shows, Sporting Events) to their music.

There are still plenty of bands/performers that are staying true to their music...I'm not making a blanket statement that says ALL artists are sellouts....just saying that a lot of them now-a-days are more worried about bottom line when it comes to music.

I always seem drawn to a bands 1st couple of albums....they usuaully have the raw sound that they envisioned....before the big Record Companies step in and take over. then it becomes over-produced (i.e. Aerosmith).

If it wasn't about the mighty dollar....I wouldn't be paying a $100 or more for a ticket

I also pretty much agree with you....comes down to integrity w/ me also.

Plus I think you just like to argue w/ me.....Are you sure you're not related to my wife?

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 12-17-2010 at 06:21 AM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote