Thread: Illegal Mexican
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #39
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
What is important to you?

I don't think you care about what is important to me. You don't listen well to all the words I've expressed on this forum including many responses to you. If you did, you would have at least an inkling about what is important to me.

Are you asking this as a deflection from dealing with what I said above? I would welcome an actual discussion on those words, but I don't care to talk about all the many things that are important to me, except that I care very much to have an honest back and forth discussion about political subjects on this forum.

Freedom at what cost?

I have explicitly stated what I consider freedom to be several times on this forum. As Spence would say, "it's in the archives." I don't feel like repeating it again. It takes a good faith effort to do it and to listen and understand it. I don't have the energy nor the motivation to try to convince you of what I mean by freedom. Mostly because I don't think it would strike a cord with you. If you had read it in one of my previous posts, which I suspect you have, you wouldn't have asked "at what cost?".

My understanding of freedom is not burdened with notions of cost in material or pecuniary senses--although there was a terrible cost in blood and treasure to create political freedom and pass it down to us Americans. One cost of securing that freedom is "eternal vigilance." That vigilance requires that we protect and defend the Constitution of the United States--especially now that it is being destroyed from within. That costs the time and effort to understand its structure and how it is supposed to "work." Then it costs the time and effort to understand how it is being undermined and by whom. And to spend that time and effort to defeat those who are doing it and support those who are fighting against them.

If we can win that battle (a cost), pleasant rural landscapes along with a free market and many other blessings will not be threatened. Rather they will flourish.

You will never be totally free to do as you please in this world unless you live on an island by yourself and create your own little world
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Obviously, "freedom" has meaning only in a social context. Without other people, verbal language, words, would not exist. My definition of "freedom" (check the archives if you wish) is entirely dependent on other people, on a society of people.