View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappin Mikey View Post
If you feel like you are getting pulled into unsafe waters, place the rod back into the holder and paddle like hell to safe water towing the fighting fish. If you lose her so be it. You don't lose your life. Always carry a knife just in case you need to cut the line.
That was my initial thought, but I couldn't hold on to the rod with one hand to put it in the holder which was behind my seat, and awkward to put the rod in. Had my drag set higher than normal, cause it was a brand new reel, new line, and figured in a yak I could have it a little higher since the yak would give. So it was really tugging... and i was worried about stability, etc.. had no idea what to do at first. Had a paddle in one hand, rod in the other.. trying to figure out how to get to my knife which I left in the dry storage, it didn't work. Finally I just told myself to calm down, I had the fish about 20 yards away. I could pull myself to him in time. So relieve when i turned him towards shore.

Like i said, my original intent was to fish from sand bars on foot... but we stopped to get a few last casts in by where we launched before sundown..
ya know, the last hurrah when getting skunked, and you just want to cast until the eel flies off so you don't have to deal with it.. so I was not anticipating having to fight the largest striper I've ever caught
(Im terrible, remember) from a yak, with a surf rod..

hell of a time. I'Il remember it forever. And all the lessons from the day....

gotta get a yak now though. I doubt i'll fish from it much, but they are completely awesome for getting around to different spots. And scouting what's out under the water. plus its just a fun workout.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
GonnaCatchABig1 is offline   Reply With Quote