View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #39
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Snicker…
Quote:
Fort Schritt, Indiana — Dr. Michael Freiheit is a general practitioner in the small town of Fort Schritt, Indiana. He describes himself as both an atheist and gay. Dr. Freiheit estimates that he sees a few hundred people a month for various maladies. In the wake of his state’s governor signing a highly-contentious bill that would allow any business in Indiana to discriminate against Freiheit, who last week volunteered to provide no-cost health care at a homeless shelter, based solely on the business owners’ religiously-based discriminatory feelings toward homosexuals. This has Dr. Freiheit curious about something, and he plans to ask Indiana Governor Mike Pence and the Republicans in the state legislature directly, via email.

“Dear Governor Pence and the Republicans in the state legistlature,” Freiheit’s letter begins, “As a gay atheist doctor in a small town in Indiana, I want to applaud your bravery and standing up for your principles, because it would seem that you have given me a chance to finally stop having to treat #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, bigoted Christians at my practice, based on my own deeply held religious views, and not anything more sinister or petty, of course.” Freiheit then goes on to ask Pence and the Republicans, “Is that not the intent of your letter, to give everyone a chance to discriminate against someone they don’t like? I am assuming that the 14th Amendment of the Constitution of the United States applies here, meaning that as a gay atheist I am permitted to not give judgmental bigots the medicine they need to get over the infections in their bodies, right?”

Constitutionally, I would say that he has a right to "discriminate" in that way. Don't know if that would cause a problem with his professional ethics regarding the hippocratic oath, if he swore to it. Might be a problem with legalities of medical practice, Obama care and all. And don't know if there are enough gay and atheistic bigots in his area to support his business at the level he desires. That may not matter. It sure would provide a service to all the gay and atheist bigots who are being turned away by Christian doctors.

Oh, wait . . . when the doctors give medical attention to gay and atheist bigots, they are not participating in or practicing their life style. No matter. Small potatoes.

Anyway, if the good doctor was able to discriminate in the matter he proposes, then it would actually make the Indiana bill even more acceptable and even more discriminatory (it's not) than it is. I don't think he wants to open up that can of worms.

Anyway, if Pence answers his letter, and if the doctor is capable of understanding and willing to listen, the Governor will explain that the bill is not discriminatory. It does not take away gay's or atheists'"rights." It does not take away their right to legal action if called for.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-03-2015 at 04:42 PM..