View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Salt View Post
Get a sit-on-top. From what you describe you could get a completely bare yak and just put a rod holder on it. The plug bag and eel just toss in a milk crate or tuck under the bungees of the talkwell.

I would go used, a lot of people buy them and find out it's not for them. Just make sure the bottom isn't trashed and the top isn't full of holes from being stripped.

I strap my yak down in the pickup bed, but almost no one else seems to.
I got a SOT back in 2008 and I love it. It's 11' 6" Pelican Castaway Angler and it came with a rod holder already installed. It was a "floor" model at Sports Authority and I probably put out $500 for the yak, paddle, lifejacket (waterskier vest, not just a lifejacket) and a paddle leash.
I haul it around in the bed of my pickup, and have gone fresh and salt. I particularly love fishing fresh at night when the fish are not as shy and the big boys come out to feed.

The one thing I really like is the stability. Although there are those that swear by the Sit In style, I would also suggest checking out different models and styles to find you own comfort level.

Then find out just how long you will spend on the water!
Trust me, you will not want to leave.

Good luck!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote