View Single Post
Old 05-10-2001, 02:16 AM   #1
Patrick

We gotta do the surfcasting for bluefin tuna thing.

I am really obsessed with this idea of hooking a bluefin tuna from shore. I mean, REALLY obsessed. I've been thinking about it for days now.

Heres the plan. Penn 130ST International reel with a big game 130lb line test rod, unless they make a rod heavier, in that case, we'll use that. The International holds 950 yards of 130lb test. I figure we go with 250lb power pro which is equivalent to 80lb mono. Then we need a wind on fluoro carbon leader or at least a monofilament leader. I'm guessing 400lb test would do okay. For hooks, we gotta go with a 9/0 or larger hook.

Right? So we have our rig. Now all we need is a 8lb bluefish set under a break away float. This has to be a joint operation. I'm thinking at least 5 people. One person to catch a bluefish and kayak the bait out. One person to get in a wetsuit with a life preserver and korkers that will actually fight the fish. A wire man and gaffer. Plus two other people that hold safety lines attached to the fisherman and the wireman.

The fisherman sits in one of those stand-up bucket seats. If either the wireman or the fisherman gets tossed into the water, a 300 yard line is attached around the waist.

So who wants to do this? Anyone? If I get the back up, I volunteer to be the fisherman or the wireman since this is my twisted idea.

I think it would be dangerous but if we pulled it off, how incredible would that be? Of course it wouldn't be an IGFA record because we were using higher breaking strength than what is allowed. 130lb test for Bluefin tuna.

Any volunteers? It would probably take me 2 or 3 months to get the money for all the gear we would need.

Come on, it'll be fun and you might get to see me get injured or killed.